Friday, July 19, 2013

5 Things I Have Learned While In India

1. Flashlights are called "torches" here.

2. The weather changes in minutes. It can be partly sunny and dry when you first look out your window, and then the cloud will roll in and you'll have moisture droplets in your hair. It's crazy! Sometimes there's only about 20 or 30 foot visibility because the cloud is so dense.

3. IST. This is technically known as Indian Standard Time, but is lovingly referred to as Indian Stretchable Time. Schedules are followed to a point, but if something has to wait, then it has to wait. I've found this at Woodstock, in the bazaar, and on the road. You have a destination and a timeline, but if there are goats in the road, you just have to wait it out.

4. Leeches. They are a fact of life here. The knowledgeable Woodstocker knows to carry a torch (see no. 1), an umbrella, and a small container of salt in their pack. Leeches are everywhere in this wet weather, so it's prudent to always check your ankles and lower legs after walking somewhere with even the slightest vegetation or puddles. I got one on my foot yesterday. I put some salt on it and it detached and died.

5. The school. It is incredible so far and the kids and other staff members haven't even arrived! The ideas presented in the new staff orientation have been inspiring, the setting is stunning, and I can't wait to get started in the music classroom! This is an amazing place. I'm really fortunate to be here.

1 comment:

  1. ISH!!! First I honestly have heard about leeches. So nasty....

    ReplyDelete